According to the Ministry of Unification, 71% of the North Korean refugees who have escaped to South Korea are women.
The female population among TNKR students is even higher.
According to TNKR co-founder Eunkoo Lee, 76.8 % of the students who joined TNKR in 2018 are women.
March 8, 2019 is International Women’s Day, TNKR’s merry band of musicians will be getting together that night for a night of jamming in honor of North Korean refugee women. The festivities will start from 8 pm and go until midnight or so. TNKR Music Manager Peter Daley, as well as TNKR Musicians Rab Nichols and Tim Crawford, are organizing this special event to be held at 33 View 33. https://www.facebook.com/view33itaewon/
View 33 will be offering all kinds of specials, so stay tuned!
Half of the proceeds for the night will benefit TNKR, the other half will be reserved to support North Korean refugee women who come to us asking for assistance. Please scroll down to the bottom of this page for donation options:
TNKR first began operations in March 2013, and became an official organization in July 2016 registered with Seoul City Hall. During that time, about 400 North Korean refugees (about 300 women) have studied English in TNKR 1:1 with tutors and coaches.
Numerous female students in TNKR have published books and given speeches around the world.
* Yeonmi Park , author of “In Order to Live,” was TNKR’s refugee ambassador in 2014 and studied in the program during 2013-14.
* Eunsun Kim, author of “A Thousand Miles from Freedom” was the winner of TNKR’s 3rd English speech contest in Feb 2016, has been studying in TNKR since 2014.
* Ji Hyeon-a, author of a forthcoming book, joined TNKR as a student in 2018. She has testified before the UN and hopes to be able to give speeches in English.
North Korean refugees who have given TEDx Talks have studied in TNKR.
* Chanyang Ju started with TNKR in 2013 at the ABC level.
* Eunhee Park started with TNKR in 2015 at the ABC level.
* Cherie Yang joined TNKR in early 2015.
* Yeonmi Park (listed above)
Numerous authors who have studied in TNKR or are fans of the organization have agreed to give signed copies of their books as thanks to TNKR donors. https://give.lovetnkr.com/en/Autograph
There are also many refugees who prefer to remain anonymous, but have achieved great personal successes after studying with our tutors and coaches, ranging from graduating from college, getting employed, winning scholarships and fellowships, or running their own businesses.
Option 1: Eventbrite https://www.eventbrite.com/e/benefit-concert-for-north-korean-refugee-women-tickets-56084857318
Option 2: PayPal https://www.paypal.me/loveTNKR
Option 3: Bank transfer
-Bank account: (Woori Bank) 1005-802-774890
-Name on account: 티엔케이알(TNKR)
Option 4: GoFundMe: https://www.gofundme.com/kb6rq-teach-north-korean-refugees
Option 5: Matching Donation: https://give.lovetnkr.com/en/Casey